Tuesday 10 September 2013

Hitchhiking Can Be Murder

        The car's engine spluttered as I pulled over to the side of the road. It gave a loud cough and died. I turned the key and something clunked, but the engine didn't start. I put my head back against the headrest and closed my eyes. The car had done well, I'd been running it pretty much non-stop for the last week, but of all the times to die, it had to be now. The cargo in the trunk was extremely valuable and I had to get it to its destination as soon as possible. The problem was it was too big and bulky to lug around the countryside by hand. And I really didn't want to put it in someone else's car.
        I tried turning the key again. The engine roared to life. I grinned, the good old girl had come through for me.
        There was a small explosion under the hood and the car died once again. When I tried the key again, nothing at all happened; no clicks, no splutters; nothing. I thumped the steering wheel in exasperation, cursing loudly.
        I looked out the window, it was darker than cold, dead eyes out there. The chances of being picked up by a fellow motorist on a night like tonight was minimal. What, with it being so dark and with the amount of nutcases out there these days, I had no chance of being picked up. I pulled the map from the glove box and tried to find where exactly I was.
        According to the map, there was a little town a small distance ahead. If I could I walk there, then maybe I could borrow a car or something. I just wasn't keen on leaving the car on the side of the road. Knowing my luck, I'd return to find the car gone, along with its precious cargo.
        A thought struck me; I peered out of the passenger window, the dark trees were thick a bit further back from the road. I could stash it there until I returned, then I wouldn't care what happened to the carcass of the car. It was the best thought I could come up with, I was just glad I hadn't chosen to take the freeway; at least this road was fairly quiet.
        I got out of the car and popped open the trunk. I hoisted the sheet-wrapped load from the trunk, staggering as I took it away from the road and into the trees. I found a bush below a big tree and placed it down. Even in the gloomy darkness, the sheet stood out. I covered it with some loose foliage, hiding it from passing eyes.
        But how would I find it when I came back? I took note of the surrounding trees, but they all looked the same. I walked back to the car and kicked the rear light until the cover broke and fell off. I placed a piece on the crash barrier, some pieces on the road and verge; a shattered trail of broken plastic. At least if the car was towed, I'd be able to find the spot again. Then I started my long walk to the nearby town.
        After about half an hour, I heard a car approaching behind me. I stuck my thumb out in a vain attempt to hitch a ride. The car roared past. I swear they even sped up. I continued walking along the road.
        I saw the road ahead of me light up, and seconds later another car passed me going the opposite way. As they flew past me, they had the great idea of giving me a toot; it scared the crap out of me!
        After another half hour of walking, I started reflecting on the fact that a small distance on the map wasn't a small distance in reality. It felt like I'd been walking around in circles. I had seen no signposts, no lights, and no hint of life. I was quickly getting fed up, and was constantly cursing the broken down car with every step I took. I saw the trees ahead of me light up. A car coming from behind me.
        Even though I thought it was a futile effort, I stuck my thumb out. The car went past me.
        Then it slowed down and pulled over, stopping a short distance from me. I ran up to it as quickly as I could; before the driver had a chance to re-think their decision.
        But it was unnecessary. The driver had gotten out of the vehicle, a little hatchback, and was slowly walking toward me.
        As we approached each other, I plastered a big grin on my face and stuck my hand out to him.
        “Boy,” I said, panting slightly, “am I glad to see you.”
        “I bet you are,” he smiled and shook my hand. “Was that your vehicle back up there?” He nodded over my shoulder.
        “Yeah,” I nodded, “the thing died on me.”
        The guy started walking back to his car. I stayed where I was, I didn't want to appear presumptuous.
        He glanced back at me. “Get in,” he said with a wave.
        I hurried over to the passenger door and slid into his car. It was nice and warm inside.
        I looked over at the guy as I closed the door. “I'm real grateful,” I offered.
        “Pleased to meet you Real Grateful,” he said with a laugh, “I'm Elmer.”
        It was an old joke, too old. But I did the right thing and chuckled with him.
        “My friends call me Joe,” I told him.
        Pleased to meet you Joe,” Elmer pulled back onto the road and quickly picked up speed. “Where are you heading, Joe?”
        “Well,” I said, pointing up ahead, “I was hoping that that town up ahead would have some sort of garage or something.”
        “That old town?” Elmer laughed. “That isn't there any more.”
        My heart sank.
        “You must've been looking at an old map,” he continued. “That old town was destroyed five, six years ago. Nope, the only place you can go is fifty miles from here.”
        I stared at him. “Seriously?”
        “Seriously,” he glanced at me. “But you're in luck. I'm going through there, I can take you into the heart of town.”
        I continued to stare at him. “There is nothing else closer?”
        “Nope,” he said with a grin.
        I could have sworn the map I'd bought was a newish one. I started to doubt this guy.
        “You wouldn't have a map, would you?” I tried to make it sound innocent.
        Elmer looked at me sideways.
        “So I can see how big this town is,” I added hastily.
        He took a while answering. I was just about to repeat the question, when he answered.
        “No, sorry. It's all up here,” he chuckled as he tapped his head with a finger. “I've been driving these roads for years.”
        I don't know what it was, but when he said that, I instantly didn't trust him. But he was likely to be the only ride I was going to get tonight, so I bit my tongue and settled in for the long trip. I tried to change the subject of conversation.
        “So, Elmer. What do you do?”
        Again he gave me a weird sideways glance before he answered.
        “I'm a butcher. Well, at least I was. I'm retired.”
        He looked too young for retirement; I said so. “Bit young for retirement, aren't you?”
        “No,” he laughed, “you're never too young! I owned my own business. It did well, I sold it and now I'm living off the proceeds.”
        “Good stuff, well done,” I said earnestly.
        “Damn right,” he grinned, “best thing to do, work hard young, play hard old.”
        “Wish I could,” I responded.
        “What do you do Joe?”
        I hesitated before answering; I didn't want this nutcase knowing too much.
        “I, uh, deliver stuff.”
        “Courier, huh?”
        “Nah,” I shot back, “it's just a job.”
        He looked at me strangely, until I chuckled at my stupid joke and he joined me.
        “That was terrible,” he said, still chuckling.
        “I know,” I didn't mention his past attempt at bad humour. “Do you mind if I have a tiny nap? I'm exhausted.”
        “Not at all,” he replied. “Make yourself comfortable.”
        I reclined the seat fully and lay staring at the beige roof lining. I wasn't tired, I just didn't want to talk to this guy any more. I rolled onto my side, trying to get a little more comfortable. I noticed a dark stain on the back of his seat. I was dark and large. I reached out and gingerly touched it. It was dry.
        “Um, Elmer,” I said.
        “Yes?”
        “Did you know about this large stain?”
        “What stain?” he quickly glanced back at me.
        “This one, on the back of your seat.”
        He hesitated before carefully saying, “I think it might be blood.”
        I didn't say anything. I was cursing myself for getting in this car with this nutcase.
        “It's from a pig,” Elmer laughed, “in case you were getting worried.”
        I pulled the lever and the seat returned to an upright position. I looked over at him.
        “A pig?”
        “Yeah,” he answered. “It was a small job for a friend. She wanted me to slaughter one of her pigs and take the cuts to her daughter's house. I didn't realise how little room there is in these small cars.”
        The explanation sounded plausible. I didn't believe a word.
        “They are tiny, huh.” I looked at the dash. “Has it got a radio?”
        Elmer reached out and flicked the radio on. Music flooded into the car. He had it tuned to some rock station. The music relaxed me a little. I reclined the seat again and stared up, out the window. My mind started to drift and I closed my eyes.
        Part of a news broadcast drifted into my ears and my eyes flicked open. They had mentioned something about the Hitch Hiker Killer. I glanced at Elmer, his eyes were on the road. I listened to the woman on the radio.
        “The Hitch Hiker Killer is still at large,” she said. “Police are baffled by the bizarre events surrounding the case. The Hitch Hiker Killer has been taking hitch hikers from different areas across the country. Police believe all the cases are linked. Local woman, Maureen Corey, has been reported recently missing. It is feared she may have fallen foul to the killer. Anyone with information is urged to call their local police precinct. 
        In sports news...”
        I didn't care about sports. The Hitch Hiker Killer had made local news. I looked over at Elmer again. He was looking down at me. I sat up, bringing the seat-back up with me.
        “That's bad about that poor woman, huh?” he said.
        “Yeah,” I mumbled.
        “Can you imagine what it would be like to get in a car with a nutcase like that?” he gave me weird look.
        I didn't know what to say. Panic began to seep into my mind, my heartbeat increased, my palms got prickly.
        “To think,” he continued. “that someone could do that to another human being. An animal, I can understand, but not a human being. Do you know, Joe?”
        My God! What was this guy trying to say?
        “Can you pull over for a second?” I croaked.
        Elmer shot me a strange look and pulled the car over. I opened the door before he'd come to a complete stop. I took deep breaths of the cool, fresh air.
        I reached into my jacket and pulled the polished wooden hilt from an inside pocket. I unfolded the blade from the handle and stared at the ultra-sharp blade.
        “What do you know?” I demanded as I spun around to face him.
        Elmer gave me another funny look, but said nothing.
        Rage took hold of me and before I realised what had been done, I had run the blade across his throat, slicing it open, making a wide, bleeding crevice.
        He sat in his seat, gurgling as he tried to breathe. His hands reached for me, but it was a feeble, weak attempt. His eyes were darting wildly about, focusing on nothing. The scarlet blood gushed from his neck and flooded his shirt. The dashboard was spattered with droplets. With a final loud gurgle, Elmer's head dropped and rested on his chest. His flailing arms fell and lay still. I wiped my blade on his shirt, folded the blade back into the hilt and put it back in my jacket pocket. Elmer's seatbelt, which was drenched in his blood, was holding him upright. I unclipped it and he fell forward, resting against the steering wheel. I pulled his body to the passenger side, dumping it, folded up, on the passenger floor.
        The drivers seat squelched when I sat on it. I could feel the blood soaking through my jeans.
        I put the car in gear, and did a u-turn. Now I had a car, I could drive back and pick up the body of Maureen Corey that I'd left under the tree. I'd bury both bodies together when I got to the quarry.
        I laughed as a thought crossed my mind. I technically hadn't gone against the name the press had tagged me with; The Hitch Hiker Killer.
        I hadn't planned on killing Elmer. But I had gotten spooked, and sometimes I just couldn't help it. But everything had worked out, at least I had a vehicle again for a while.
        I drove on down the road. I hoped I wouldn't have to look too hard for the white shrouded body, it would be daylight in a couple of hours and I wanted to be well away from this place by then.




By J. Barrett
10/06/2013

No comments:

Post a Comment